A board-certified plastic surgeon in Staten Island, Dr. Louis Cutolo, Jr. is an active member of both the American Society of Plastic Surgeons and The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery and a Fellow of the... read onMeet Dr. Cutolo
Louis C. Cutolo, Jr., M.D., F.A.C.S.
1557 Victory Boulevard
Staten Island, NY 10314
Phone: (718) 720-9400
Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday
10 a.m.–5 p.m.
Year after year in the United States, the most popular cosmetic surgery procedure is breast augmentation with implants. In Staten Island, Brooklyn, Queens, and Long Island, an increasing number of women are also opting for that breast enhancement choice. Whether they always wanted larger breasts or have that “deflated” appearance from pregnancy or weight changes, these women recognize that breast augmentation by board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Louis Cutolo, Jr. can provide them with the beautiful, natural-looking results they want.
Before & After Photos
This feature contains nudity. Please click OK to confirm you are at least 18 years of age and are not offended by such material.
What Is Breast Enhancement Surgery?
Breast enhancement surgery is a group of procedures that improve the shape, volume, and position of the breasts. Breast augmentation is a type of breast enhancement that uses implants to add volume to the breasts and upper pole fullness to create more abundant cleavage. Other breast enhancement surgeries include breast reduction and breast lift surgery.
How Much Does Breast Augmentation Cost in Staten Island?
For plastic surgery practices in Staten Island, Brooklyn, and the greater New York area, the price of breast augmentation depends on several factors. The type of breast implants you choose, hospital fees, and other items all impact the cost of surgery. Your concerns and needs are unique, however, so your final price will be determined after your initial consultation.
Who Is a Good Candidate for Breast Augmentation Surgery?
Women considering breast augmentation vary in age, reasons for choosing this procedure, and expectations. What they share, however, is their goal: to enjoy full, natural-looking breasts to enhance their body’s contours. Women often choose breast augmentation to:
- Restore volume after pregnancy or weight fluctuations
- Create balance between asymmetrical breasts (different sizes)
- Improve breast shape and size
- Look and feel more attractive
How Do I Know if I Also Need a Breast Lift?
If you also want to elevate your breasts to a more youthful position, Dr. Cutolo may recommend combining breast augmentation with a breast lift (mastopexy) – an option many women choose.
Dr. Louis C. Cutolo Jr.
Your Breast Augmentation Options
Prior to the surgery, Dr. Cutolo provides a complete consultation to discuss choices related to breast implants and other options available at his practice. You’ll talk about such factors as implant size, shape, and material, as well as where your incisions will be and whether your implants will be above or below your chest muscle. Read on to learn more about these options.
Implant Fill Material
- Silicone gel–The most popular option, silicone implants have a natural look and feel.
- Saline–These implants are filled with sterile saltwater after the implant shell is inserted into the breast pocket.
|Approved for patients 22 and older||Approved for patients 18 and older|
|Typically a bit more expensive than saline||Typically a bit less expensive than silicone|
|Require slightly longer incisions because they are pre-filled||Require shorter incisions because they are filled after being inserted|
|More natural look and feel, so appropriate for placement either above or below the muscle||Slightly less natural look and feel, so usually better for placement below the muscle|
|Approved for patients 22 and older|
|Typically a bit more expensive than saline|
|Require slightly longer incisions because they are pre-filled|
|More natural look and feel, so appropriate for placement either above or below the muscle|
|Approved for patients 18 and older|
|Typically a bit less expensive than silicone|
|Require shorter incisions because they are filled after being inserted|
|Slightly less natural look and feel, so usually better for placement below the muscle|
- Round–Providing an even fullness all around the breast, round implants create more upper pole volume for noticeable cleavage.
- Teardrop–These implants are more full at the bottom of the breast and provide a more subtle enhancement. It’s important to note that anatomically shaped implants can move after surgery, resulting in an uneven appearance.
- High profile–Creating a dramatic silhouette, high-profile implants project more dramatically from the body.
- Moderate profile–One of the most popular options, moderate-profile implants aren’t as dramatic as high-profile implants but offer noticeable projection.
- Low profile–Wider at the base than high- and moderate-profile implants, low-profile options create a subtle projection.
- Under the muscle (sub-muscular placement)–The implant is placed behind the chest muscle wall.
- Over the muscle (sub-glandular placement)–The implant is placed behind the breast tissue but in front of the chest muscle.
- Transaxillary–The incision is made in the armpit
- Periareolar–The incision is made along the lower half-circle of the areola.
- Inframammary fold–The incision is made in the crease at the base of the breast
How To Choose the Best Breast Implant Size For You
Dr. Cutolo offers a wide range of implant sizes to suit your preference. These are measured in cubic centimeters, or cc, rather than bra cup sizes, which can vary. It’s helpful to bring in photos of other women with the size of breasts you’d like to have. Dr. Cutolo can take measurements and make a recommendation to meet your goals.
Are Round or Teardrop Implants Better?
While each option offers benefits, the round moderate profile breast implant is the implant of choice for nearly all breast augmentation patients. This is often because a round implant provides more fullness to the top of the breast. During your consultation, Dr. Cutolo will discuss your options during your consultation and recommend the implant he believes best suits your body and goals.
Which Incision Is Best for Breast Augmentation?
While Dr. Cutolo generally recommends the inframammary incision, the “best” option depends on your individual anatomy. Incision placement is discussed during your consultation so that the determination can be made after assessing you and your unique needs.
Will I Have a Scar After Surgery?
We take special care to place your breast augmentation incisions where they will be hidden or inconspicuous, such as in the breast crease or around the border of the areola. For most women, the incisions become very thin and fade after around 2 years.
Is It Better to Have Breast Implants Placed Above or Below the Muscle?
Most breast augmentation patients attain the most natural-looking and feeling results with their implants placed below the chest muscle. The best implant placement for you depends on how much existing breast tissue you have, your goals for recovery, and which type of implants you choose. Dr. Cutolo can talk you through each factor.
Understand What’s Possible: Crisalix 3-D Imaging
Dr. Cutolo offers his breast augmentation patients the opportunity to preview their potential results using Crisalix 3-D imaging. With Crisalix, you can see how your breasts may look with different size and implant placement options. We find that it helps make those decisions more tangible for your breast augmentation, and patients often have more peace of mind about the direction of their procedure. You can also choose to share your 3-D images with loved ones online.
Dr. Cutolo uses the Crisalix system exclusively for breast augmentation patients. He uses the VECTRA® 3-D imaging system for facial plastic surgery patients.
Your Breast Augmentation Procedure
Dr. Cutolo performs this surgery on an outpatient basis at a hospital or in a state-of-the-art surgical facility. The patient is under general anesthesia and asleep during the procedure. To insert the implants, Dr. Cutolo makes a small incision in each breast. He inserts the implants and adjusts them to ensure symmetry and a natural look before closing the incisions with sutures. The procedure usually lasts from 1 to 2 hours.
Breast Augmentation Recovery
During your consultation, Dr. Cutolo will discuss your post-operative instructions. In general, he recommends that you rest and limit your movements to speed up the healing process and recovery time. After your surgery, he applies bandages to facilitate your healing. Some patients experience moderate pain, which can be treated with prescription medication from Dr. Cutolo.
While each person heals at a different pace, below are some milestones and recommendations for an easier recovery:
- Expect some soreness, tightness, and swelling.
- Wear an elastic bandage for the first 4 days, then a sports bra for the next 3 weeks.
- Refrain from exercise, but walk around for a few minutes every couple of hours to encourage blood circulation.
- Do not lift objects heavier than 20 pounds (this includes children).
- Sleep on your back with your upper body elevated.
- Do not consume alcohol or tobacco.
- Keep incisions dry.
- Most people may return to non-strenuous work.
- Continue to wear your surgical support bra.
- Light exercise that does not involve or impact the chest area can resume.
- You may sleep on your side.
- Continue to wear your supportive sports bra.
- Most regular exercise can resume, pending Dr. Cutolo’s approval.
- Your incisions should be healing.
- Continue to wear your sports bra.
- You may now sleep on your stomach.
Weeks Five to Eight
- Swelling should be nearly resolved.
- Implants should be settling into place and will continue to do so for the next couple of months.
- You may resume wearing regular bras.
- Incisions should be mostly healed, but scars will continue to fade and flatten over the next several months.
- More vigorous exercise is usually approved at this point, but be sure to wear a supportive sports bra and follow Dr. Cutolo’s instructions.
Breast Augmentation Results and Benefits
After they have healed, most of Dr. Cutolo’s patients report feeling more self-confident and satisfied with their transformed figure. From shopping for new tops, bras, and bikinis, to enjoying an enhanced body image, these women say that they love their new proportions and shape.
A Reputation Built on Results
Can I Combine Breast Enhancement Surgery With Other Procedures?
Yes, breast augmentation can be combined with many other body contouring procedures. Popular options include tummy tuck, liposuction, and breast lift surgery. These treatments are often combined in a mommy makeover, a customizable suite of procedures helping women contour their bodies or reclaim their pre-pregnancy shape. During your consultation, we will analyze your body and suggest other treatments that may be right for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are there any non-surgical alternatives to breast augmentation?
Besides using silicone bra inserts to create the illusion of a fuller bust, there’s no non-surgical option for significantly increasing the size of your breasts. Surgical breast augmentation is the only proven long-term solution. Moreover, today’s breast implants are more durable, safer, and more customizable than ever, not only adding volume but also improving the shape and projection of breasts for a result that’s tailored to your exact specifications.
How long does it take for breast implants to settle?
Immediately after surgery, your implants may appear to sit high on your chest. Additionally, the skin around them may look and feel tight. This effect is perfectly normal, especially among patients who have a small amount of natural breast tissue or those who choose large implants. Your body needs time to acclimate to the presence of the implants. Over time, your skin and tissue will naturally expand to accommodate them, and they’ll soften and “drop” to a lower, more natural-looking position. This process can take several months to complete, so patience is important. Your results should be clear after about 6 to 8 months. Dr. Cutolo evaluates the shape and position of your implants during your follow-up appointments to ensure you’re healing on schedule.
I work out a lot. What are my activity restrictions during breast augmentation recovery?
Any activities that require you to put undue stress on your chest muscles, including heavy lifting and upper-body strength training, should be avoided for up to a month after breast augmentation. This gives your body the opportunity to heal and ensures you get the best results possible. You should hold off on all vigorous activity, even that which doesn’t affect the chest, for at least 2 weeks after surgery. This is because exercise elevates your heart rate and blood pressure, which can exacerbate swelling, bruising, and bleeding. Dr. Cutolo understands that it can be difficult for very active people to delay exercise after surgery, but it’s important to listen to your body and not overexert yourself. Instead of high-intensity workouts, he recommends taking light, short walks a few times a day.
For more answers to your questions about breast augmentation, visit our Breast Augmentation FAQ page.