CoolSculpting vs. BodyTite – Which Do I Need?

Louis C. Cutolo, Jr., M.D., F.A.C.S.

There are many reasons men and women might be interested in body contouring. Sometimes, no matter how much dieting and exercise we do, we can’t trim down those last bulges of fat. If you have done research into fat reduction options, you have probably come across many treatment possibilities. CoolSculpting and BodyTite are 2 of the most popular choices among our Brooklyn and Staten Island patients.

While both of these treatments help you slim down and reduce fat, they’re not exactly the same. This blog post will outline the main differences so you can make an informed choice.


CoolSculpting is a noninvasive procedure that uses cryolipolysis to freeze away fat cells. By placing the targeted fatty tissue between 2 cooling panels, the frozen fat cells are destroyed and eliminated by the body’s natural cleansing process. As these cells are removed, the fatty tissue shrinks. A few areas that CoolSculpting can treat are:

  • Abdomen
  • Double chin
  • Back
  • Thighs
  • Chest
  • Arms

No recovery time is necessary after CoolSculpting, meaning patients can return to work or normal activities immediately after treatment. Results can be seen after 4 weeks, gradually developing over the course of 3 to 4 months. Some patients later choose follow-up treatments to create more dramatic results.


BodyTite is a new, minimally invasive form of liposuction that utilitizes radiofrequency energy. While the patient is sedated, the surgeon inserts a small tube under the skin through a carefully placed incision. The radiofrequency energy liquefies fat cells as the tube suctions them away. The treatment also stimulates collagen development to tighten the surrounding skin. BodyTite can be used to tone up areas such as:

  • Back
  • Arms
  • Hips
  • Abdomen
  • Neck
  • Thighs

BodyTite has a quicker recovery time than traditional liposuction, with patients being able to return to work after only 1 or 2 days. Results are seen within a few weeks and continue to improve over a year–about 80% in the first 6 months and the remaining 20% over the next 6 months.

Which one is better?

Neither treatment is universally “better” than the other. Patients and their doctor should choose whichever suits their personal needs best. Although neither is intended for weight loss, both procedures are effective ways to remove fat from areas like the abdomen, thighs, and arms.

Overall, BodyTite (much like other liposuction options) dramatically reduces fat and tones up skin, but requires a slightly more intensive procedure. CoolSculpting, on the other hand, creates more subtle results but remains a great option for patients who prefer a noninvasive treatment with less downtime.

Talk with a cosmetic surgery professional to decide which option is best for you. Request a consultation today either online or by calling the practice at (718) 720-9400.

Leave a Reply

Fields marked with * are required.